Some of you (service providers) may have already participated and contributed to this research. Having consulted with organizations who interact with young people in each state the researchers are now commencing fieldwork with the aim of engaging early school leavers directly, and to listen to and record their views on vocational training - whether or not they’ve actually undertaken training.
To undertake this work the Brotherhood of St Laurence has sought assistance from YANQ members and/or our affiliates (they are focusing on the south east Qld, and up to Cairns), and we are hopeful that you may help.
Specifically, they are wondering whether you may help in one or more ways, perhaps by:
- Distributing an invitation to young people through your networks.
- Introducing us to young early school leavers within your networks.
- Providing access to a suitable room for focus groups and interviews.
- Making available staff for interviews (which will conform to ethically approved research conventions; and where young interviewees will be recompensed).
- Referring us to similar organizations who may, themselves, assist us to engage young people.
At this stage they are hoping to undertake this fieldwork through September, at times convenient to the ‘host’ or partner agency.
They researchers have organised to use the facilities at the Youth Development Foundation based in North Brisbane between Mon 12th - Fri 16th Sept. This certainly does not preclude them visiting your own services, if that’s what you may have in mind, but having access to YDF may in fact make things more convenient: perhaps as a location where they can engage with you and/or your clients and hold focus groups etc.
They have indicated that they are open to any alternative suggestions and arrangements as well.
If you can assist us with this important research please email email@example.com and we will put you in contact with the researchers at the Brotherhood of St Laurence.
Thanking you in advance in anticipation of your assistance.